Monday, March 12, 2012

A Farmer Went Out, The Seed to Sow

The parable of the Sower - Matthew 13:3-23

Text: John A. Dalles, March 12, 2012
Tunes: ALMA or HIS WONDEROUS WAYS
Meter: 9.8.9.8.


A farmer went out, the seed to sow;
And as he eagerly scattered it,
Some fell on paths where it did not grow—
The birds swooped down and devoured it.


Some seed fell where there was rocky ground,
And sprang up quickly, shoot after shoot;
But in the sunshine those plants were burned,
And withered because they had no root.


Some seed fell where there were many thorns,
To choke what grew within that field.
Some fell on ground that was rich and warm,
And gave a fruitful, abundant yield.


May we too share the news we’ve heard:
The seed that falls on fertile ground
Is one who understands Christ’s word,
And from that life, grace shall abound!




Copyright © 2012, John A. Dalles


I have posted several of my newest hymns on this blog. You may print and use the ones that appear under my copyright ownership, here, one-time in worship, with proper copyright information noted at the bottom of the page you distribute in worship. Please, let me know you plan to use a hymn, by sending me an email. Afterward, send me 1 copy of the bulletin. I don’t charge a fee for one-time use, but encourage a small donation to Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, 616 N Highland Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15026, "In honor of the hymns of John A. Dalles". You may see more of my hymns here:

For more of my hymns click here: New Hymn Texts of John A. Dalles

No comments: