Friday, March 16, 2012

Eugene H. Peterson on Humility

Jim, who is one of our Deacons, asked me about Eugene Peterson today...

I told Jim that I have met him, but only in passing (literally), in the stairwell at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary when he was living on campus as "Pastor in Residence" and (I think) working on the translation that became The Message Bible.

I like this, among many of the things he has written that I also like:

“The Latin words humus, soil/earth, and homo, human being, have a common derivation, from which we also get our word 'humble.' This is the Genesis origin of who we are: dust - dust that the Lord God used to make us a human being. If we cultivate a lively sense of our origin and nurture a sense of continuity with it, who knows, we may also acquire humility.”


― Eugene H. Peterson, Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places






No comments: