Friday, June 22, 2012

My New Sunglass Holder

As all who live in sunny locales know, one accumulates sunglasses.  They are de rigeur for outdoor wear, year round, whether driving or simply being out of doors.  Sunglasses come in many styles and can cost from next to nothing to a king's ransom, depending on your own personal preferences.  Usually, I have at least one pair in each car, so as to be ready if called upon to drive or simply as a passenger. 

In my car I have a clever little clip on the visor for my sunglasses.  In Judy's car they are in the upper of the two glove boxes.  But I have other sun glasses, for pool or gardening wear, or just a change of pace, and I was getting a sense that the other glasses were not being cared for as they might.

Indeed, left on a counter top or dresser, or placed in a drawer, the glasses tend to get knocked around, or forgotten or (sigh) broken.  Why is it, by the way that the el cheapo glasses NEVER get broken, and instead last down the decades whether in style or not; all the while, the good ones are prime targets for being sat upon, or driven over, not to mention falling into the lake and sinking like a stone, within the first week you buy them? 

One of life's imponderables, I guess.

At any rate, I decided to find a simple and easy way to store the sunglasses.  I looked for some prototype ideas and found one that was more or less along the lines of what I ended up making, but mine is, I think, both simpler and nicer.

The prototype was about the size of the one I made, but it had two holes drilled in a piece of wood, with a leather or rawhide lace stretched between them and tied in the back.  While it seemed a simple and elegant solution, I did wonder how one might get the wood flush against the wall with those knots in the lace, around back. 

So I took that idea but modified it to suit my own requirements.  Yes, it is an "upcycled" piece of wood flooring, with the ends slightly sanded.  Yes, I used two brass cup hooks at each end and then stretched one of those longer hair stretchies (thank you Anne) between the two hooks.  Easy as can be.  I made the sunglasses holder and attached it to the wall yesterday evening.  It was a quickly completed project.

Now, the glasses are going to be where I left them, and available as I head out the door, and more or less out of harm's way.  I like this solution and believe that it will serve well over time.

Now, to go find a few more sunglasses for the not-yet covered occasions...!

No comments: