Thursday, September 23, 2021

Have You Settled In...?

That is a question I'm asked often these days.  

The answer is yes, and no.

Does the new house feel like home?  Are we glad we are here? Are we enjoying being near the children and grandchildren?  Are we happy to watch the arrival of cold and dreary weather up north and still have balmy weather to enjoy every day?  Are we glad to be reconnecting with long-familiar faces and places?  Have we visited some of our old favorite places and tried some new ones?

Yes to all of the above.




Have you unpacked all the boxes?  Have you found places for all your things? 

Nope.  Not yet.

But these are still early days.



What we have discovered is that our new house is ideally suited to our needs.  Even before we hung one piece of art on the wall, we looked at each other and said, "It feels like home".  What a blessing that is, considering that we found and bought the house without ever setting foot inside it.  We like our house, we like our neighborhood, we like being back in Central Florida. When I drive familiar roads, roads that I know like the back of my hand, I am continually moved by the beauty all around.  I don't know anywhere other than Florida where retention ponds are enhanced by fountains flowing deep and wide, palm trees standing tall at most intersections, ibis and egrets on the morning lawn, eagles and ospreys overhead, the occasional bear lumbering though the neighborhood, ever changing sunrises and sunsets that take your breath away.  


Ample parking anywhere you go (and no parking meters or parallel parking).  That in and of itself is reason to be glad. And looking ahead, no snow, no ice, no winter coats, no mittens, and no boots.  Been there.  Done with that.

We miss our Pittsburgh friends.  But they know the way to the Sunshine State, and we hope to see them here before long.  We miss being at Shadyside Presbyterian Church; what a wonderful congregation!  And we know that they will always be in our hearts.

So then there is that other question I keep getting asked:

"What are you doing in retirement?"

First here is what I am NOT doing:  Going to evening meetings.  Directing a fall Stewardship campaign.  Practicing diplomatic management of a large and sometimes cantankerous staff (I would name names here, but I am saving that for the "Memoirs"!). Commuting morning and evening.  Dealing with church politics coming from outside the congregation.  Ugh.  Do I miss any of these things?  Not one little bit. I suppose somewhere on the planet is someone who enjoys them all.  I wish them well, and I am glad I am not them.

So here is what I AM doing in retirement"  Spending time with extended family.  Writing. (Including on this blog, where I am as I say, telling truth as it needs to be told).  Photography.  Reading.  Vintage shopping and vintage watch collecting.  Hymn writing.  Getting up and going to bed when I darn well please.  Whether it is earlier or later than what was once customary.  Not setting an alarm.  Attending whatever worship services I choose to on Sunday mornings, virtually, in casual clothes, no ties, no robe, no microphones.  Looking forward to a trip to the Holy Land.  Working on the house.  

Do you miss full time ministry?  No.  That was then.  Forty years of then.  It was a joy and honor to serve; but I cannot say that I am pining away for it.

Stay tuned for late breaking reports!






No comments: